Monday, May 11, 2009

One Random Thing: Pete Seeger

I am always surprised and happy to hear that Pete Seeger is still alive and busy. I'm not sure why the surprise--perhaps I've been thinking all this time that he's older than he is, or maybe I just never knew his age (he just turned 90 on May 3). While I've never been a major fan of folk music, it is part of my upbringing, Pete Seeger and his company are indelibly linked to my childhood. I guess that's where the happiness comes in...although, I must say, contrary to Steve Martin's assertion, Pete can make the banjo a melancholy instrument indeed.

He's better known for lots of other songs, and I guess I'm most familiar with Malvina Reynold's version, but this is a song that makes me happy, too. If you follow the links on this YouTube offering, you'll be able to see Malvina's performances on the show as well, on her own and accompanied by Pete:



Happy Belated Birthday, Mr. Seeger.

No comments: